Live broadcast from NASA:
A lecture by John Mather, 2006 Nobel Laureate in Physics
A new joint project of the Dynasty Foundation and RIA Novosti—an open lecture cycle given by the topmost scientists and accessible in any part of Russia on the internet— begins October 27, 2009.
The first lecture by John Cromwell Mather, 2006 Nobel Laureate in Physics, “From the Big Bang to the orbital supertelescope JWST (James Webb Space Telescope) and new Nobel prizes»” will be transmitted October 27, 2009, 4:30 pm Moscow time.
Each of you can join the multithousand audience and ask Professor J. Mather a question on the internet.
- What contemporary research confirms the validity of the Big Bang theory?
- What significant evidence in favor of this theory was obtained through the COBE satellite (Cosmic Background Explorer, NASA)?
- Considering the latest research, how does modern science explain the origin of the Universe as a result of the Big Bang?
- How was the planet on which we live formed?
- In what was Einstein mistaken?
- How did Edwin Hubble prove that the Universe is expanding?
- What problems will the James Webb Space Telescope, the supertelescope that NASA plans to launch into orbit in 2014 and whose construction is now in full swing, be able to solve?
- Which discoveries and new Nobel prizes can the new orbital telescope give us?
All these and many other questions including yours will be answered during the lecture of Professor J. Mather, who seeks and finds confirmation of the Big Bang theory and who is also directly involved in creating the new supertelescope.
John Mather at NASA will be on line with the multithousand Russian audience thanks to the direct webcast on the RIA Novosti and Elementy web sites.
It is easy to participate in this event.
On October 27, 4:30 pm Moscow time, go to the website www.elementy.ru or www.rian.ru.
Questions to the lecturer may be posed before and during the webcast on the site http://www.rian.ru/pressclub/20091027/189129577.html.
The webcast of the popular science lecture of the Nobel Laureate in Physics Dr. John C. Mather is organized by the Dynasty Foundation in the framework of the project Science Without Borders and RIA Novosti in the framework of the Knowledge Mosaics enlightenment club.
Curators of the project:
Konstantin Petrov: +7 (495) 251 92 99; Mikhail Yurik: +7 (915) 483 71 98
Albina Pylaeva:+7 (495) 645 65 10